Augmented Reality (AR) uses technology to imbue real-world objects with artificial, digital characteristics. Any time you employ software or a gadget to provide new sights, sounds, or tactile experiences to something you’re seeing, you’re using AR.
As a result, when people think about AR, they typically consider smartphone apps that add digital elements to what’s seen through the camera lens.
Industries In Which Augmented Reality is Offering its Services
AR is making a splash in several industries; e-commerce has quickly adopted AR. Retailers are using it to create more interactive and engaging customer experiences. For instance, IKEA developed an app that allows customers to place furniture in their homes before they buy it to see how it looks.
This not only allows customers to get a better idea of what the table will look like in their home, but it also cuts down on returns, as customers can be sure that the furniture will fit their space.
Another industry that has seen great success with AR is automotive. Manufacturers are using AR technology to market and sell their cars.
Using renderings of the vehicle, customers can view and manipulate models of the vehicle on a mobile device or laptop before making a purchasing decision—the more interactive the experience, the better likelihood of a sale.
How Does Augmented Reality Help Business?
AR can help businesses in several ways, but some of the most important include:
AR works by blending virtual images and computer-generated information with your actual surroundings using a mobile device or computer. By doing so, you can interact with the natural world as though certain digital assets exist within it.
This enables you as an individual or as a business to create engaging experiences for customers that feel more personal and interactive than ever before
Difference Between Augmented Reality And Virtual Reality
While virtual reality headsets immerse users in a simulated world entirely, augmented reality allows users to see the natural world and digital objects overlaid on top of it. This means that AR can be used with no VR headsets, such as mobile phones and tablets.
AR does not require expensive equipment, whereas VR headsets can be pretty costly. VR is better for more immersive gaming or experiences, whereas AR is better for more functional tasks requiring reference to the real world.
How Does Augmented Reality Work?
- The first step is for the user to download an app that supports Augmented Reality on their device, whether it’s a smartphone or tablet.
- This app uses the phone’s camera to locate the surrounding environment, then overlays digital information onto what your eyes are seeing through your device’s screen.
- This information can be anything from text to pictures to videos, and it can be interactive, allowing users to control it with their fingertips.
- Sometimes, AR also uses sound, vibration or smells to enhance the experience.
- The app will generally require an internet connection to work correctly.
The Pros and Cons of Augmented Reality
While Augmented Reality has several advantages for businesses and individuals, it also has a few disadvantages.
1. AR is more engaging than traditional media, such as print or television ads.
2. It can create personal experiences for the user by blending with their surroundings.
3. It’s straightforward to set up and start using, as most devices now support AR apps from the get-go.
4. It can be used as a powerful marketing tool for businesses of all sizes, as it’s less expensive when compared to other forms of media.
5. It can create a feeling of exclusivity, as it generally requires active participation from the user to work.
1. Not all devices are equipped with an AR app or camera, so they may not be accessible to people for their business.
2. The physical location where you intend to use AR is important, as you need an open space free from obstructions.
3. Some users find the experience overwhelming or distracting, so it’s not for everyone.
4. It can be not easy to create quality AR content without the help of a professional team.
5. Not all businesses have seen success with AR, so it’s essential to do your research before investing in this technology.
Overall, Augmented Reality is a powerful tool that can be used for various purposes. It has both advantages and disadvantages, so it’s essential to weigh the pros and cons before deciding if it’s the right fit.